- Locate the grave of Archmage Vyngald
- Defeat the Necromancers
- Re-cover Archmage Vyngald's grave OR
- Take the Shroud of Vyngald from the grave
- Defeat Archmage Vyngald's vengeful apparition
The grave of Archmage Vyngald can be found on a lonely island just North-East of Winterhold. Head there by foot via any paths possible. When the Dragonborn nears the location, some level-dependent Necromancers will be present, as well as Wynestra. Defeat all the necromancers around the area, after which a choice must be made: the Dragonborn can choose to cover up the grave again and leave Vyngald to rest (thereby failing the objective to take his shroud) or the Dragonborn can search his coffin and take the Shroud of Vyngald. If the latter option is taken, a spirit of Vyngald will appear to attack the Dragonborn. He will be levelled and may conjure a Dremora Lord.
Regardless of the pathway taken, if the grave has been re-covered, or the spirit defeated, the quest will be completed.
- The process to become a lich later in the main quest requires that the Shroud be taken: without it, the Dragonborn will be forever prevented from completing the main quest.